Make the Switch to Organic Feminine Hygiene Products
Feminine hygiene products: What’s in them? Are commercial products safe to use, or should women be looking for better versions than what’s on the stores’ eye-level shelves? For women looking to make healthier choices for their bodies and the planet, organic feminine hygiene products may be the answer.
Regular Feminine Products vs. Organic Feminine Products
As consumers become more conscious of toxic phthalates, fragrances, and ingredients present in home and beauty products, something as personal as feminine hygiene may need to be more closely examined.
Most feminine hygiene products are made from cotton, which can be exposed to pesticides or other additives in the growing and harvesting process. Additionally to achieve a pure white clean look, and to ensure they are sanitary, most feminine hygiene products are bleached. With the high usage of feminine hygiene products over a person’s lifetime, turning to organic options may minimize exposure to these toxins.
It's also said that skin can absorb chemicals more effectively than through the mouth, which can cause a problem if women are using products with traces of dioxins or chemical additives. For those who eat organic food, it makes sense to also use organic feminine hygiene products.
What Do the Experts Say About Organic Feminine Hygiene Products?
In an article in the Huffington Post Dr. Joseph Mercola has this to say about feminine hygiene products: “In my opinion, feminine hygiene products can be likened to a ‘ticking time bomb’ due to years of exposure. The average American woman uses 16,800 tampons in her lifetime–or up to 24,360 if she's on estrogen replacement therapy.”
Dr. Mercola gives the following advice. "Don't put anything on your body that you wouldn't eat if you had to." The same rule should apply for bath and personal care.
What Does It Mean to Be Organic?
To be certified as organic, there are a number of procedural checks that companies have to go through, including not using pesticides, genetically modified organisms, or other artificial agents. The United States Department of Agriculture identified three categories that organic labeled products fall into.
- 100% organic: products made with 100% organic ingredients
- Organic: products made with at least 95% organic ingredients
- Made with organic ingredients: products made with a minimum of 70% organic ingredients with strict restrictions on the remaining 30%
At the end of the day consumers who have sensitive skin, are environmentally conscious or are just trying to avoid exposure to harmful chemicals should consider using organic feminine care products. Organic feminine hygiene products will contain fewer toxic chemicals (if any) and will be safer on the skin. Lastly, keep in mind that it is important to seek the advice of a medical professional with any questions regarding menstrual cycle safety.
- Mercola, J.; Women Beware: Most Feminine Hygiene Products Contain Toxic Ingredients; Huffpost.com Website