MD

2,048
Marta B
Posted on Apr 24, 2022
Best form of calcium

I'm so delighted to have this form on iHerb. It is an easy to absorb form, but not commonly available in health shops. I have osteoporosis and desperately need something like this, a product that won't clog up my kidneys like calcium carbonate. Just make sure you don't take it together with multivitamins (if they contain iron), vitamin D, iron, and strontium. You also have to take it 2 hours away from zinc. The best time to take calcium is morning and midday.

This form of calcium is one of the best sources as it contains so much more and its a pity it's not included in any descriptions of the product. This is a list of what minerals are in hydroxyapatite in descending order of amount: calcium, phosphorus, chondroitin sulphate, glycine, hydroxyproline, proline, glutamine, alanine, asparagine, lysine, serine, leucine, valine, arginine, phenylalanine, threonine, isoleucine, tyrosine, methionine, histidine & tryptophan. one more really important thing about calcium is that it needs to be ionised in the body, and for that you need vitamin C, unfortunately a very important part of calcium metabolism that nobody seems to know about. I would never take calcium without it, in fact calcium influences vitamin C bowel tolerance.

Posted on Aug 2, 2022

My bone density test has improved, which is great as I had a calcium deficiency and combined with vit. D3 & K2 it is doing its job, I was told by my nutritionist that this was the best quality calcium supplement. I like this product because it does what it says it will do and it is easy to take !

Posted on Jul 24, 2022

I bought this for use with my tooth powder. I break open a few capsules at a time and put it in a small bottle with silica gel sachets to keep it dry. Just add a tiny sprinkle to my tooth powder and I get a perfect product with all the ingredients I want for cleanliness and re-mineralization of my teeth.

Posted on Jul 8, 2022

I was so happy to find these on iherb. My doctor said this type of calcium is easier to absorb. I have osteopenia have not had an increase in bone density from the years of basic calcium I took. I am optimistic that the calcium hydroxyapatite will be more effective for me.

Posted on Mar 16, 2022

I’m taking this I’m conjunction with other calcium/mag/vitamin D for proper absorption. I’m focusing on my teeth heath and trying to naturally remineralize so I use this in my mouthwash and toothpaste as well. I just crack one or two open and mix in with my products.

Posted on Mar 13, 2022

I’ve noticed a difference in my teeth since taking these and hope it’s helping my bones as well. I have a medically limited diet and definitely had not been getting enough calcium. If you are prone to constipation, you may want to stick with calcium citrate, but I really appreciate getting the trace ingredients of real bone meal. Since calcium citrate absorbs fine on an empty stomach, I take KAL Calcium Citrate in the middle of the night, and I take this NOW Calcium Hydroxyapatite during the day. Remember to space out your minerals so that your body is capable of absorbing them. For instance if taking calcium and magnesium at the same time, stick to about 25% DV of each. If just taking calcium in one sitting, take up to 500mg and try not to be taking it at the same meal in which you consume much dairy. Otherwise you waste minerals and strain your body. Also take your calcium away from your multivitamin if it contains iron.

Posted on Jan 30, 2022

Great form of structural, bone building calcium, easily absorbed and assimilated by the body, included in many formulae on the market, along side vitamin D, K2, and other co-factors. Sometimes you dont want a bone building formula that has all 15-20 ingredients (vitamins, minerals) that are required for forming bone, and you do better taking the various co-factors spread out throughout the day/week. Well, many people find bone building formulas to be hard on the stomach, myself included, and I have done much better taking these Calcium Hydroxyapatite capsules spaced apart from vitamin D, strontium, etc. This is an excellent compound and many people, whether on animal based or plant based diet could use the structural support that comes from taking these capsules. I highly recommend trying.

Posted on Jan 18, 2022

I needed to find a good but affordable calcium supplement to help restore my bone density, and this one fit the bill! I have been a long-time fan of NOW supplements, since they are of good quality and are typically more reasonably priced than many brands. This type of calcium doesn't seem to upset my stomach like other forms do. The capsules are a bit large, but are not too difficult to swallow. Most importantly, my last DEXA scan showed significant improvement in my bone density. I do also take a couple other things to help restore my bones, but I feel confident having this calcium supplement in my daily regimen, especially since calcium also benefits my muscles, nerves and cells.

Posted on Dec 3, 2022

I wanted to try calcium hydroxyapatite after reading, the book "Radical Longevity, by Ann Louise Gittleman who recommends this as one of the best forms of calcium. It was a bonus that Now brand makes it. I'm on my second bottle and have ordered a couple bottles for my Mom too.